Thursday, March 14, 2013


From the March issue of Harper's:

Excerpt from an interview with Maurice Sendak, the great recently departed children's book illustrator, by Emma Brockes, a British journalist.
Brockes: What do you think of e-books?
Sendak: I hate them. It’s like making believe there’s another kind of sex. There isn’t another kind of sex. There isn’t another kind of book. A book is a book is a book. I know that’s terribly old-fashioned. I’m old, and when I’m gone they’ll probably try to make my books on all these things, but I’m going to fight it like hell. I can’t believe I’ve turned into a typical old man. I can’t believe it. I was young just minutes ago.

And from Here and Now, a collection of letters between one novelist and another, Paul Auster, regarding names.
Paul Auster says:
Needless to say, I have spent my whole life meditating on my own name, and my great hope is to be reborn as an American Indian. Paul: Latin for “small, little.” Auster: Latin for “South Wind.” South Wind: an old American euphemism for a rectal toot. I therefore shall return to this world bearing the proud and altogether appropriate name of Little Fart.

No comments:

Post a Comment